AGENDA ITEM II.5: OTHER PENDING ISSUES
Timetable of actions under the lusaka protocol
1. D DAY
- Initialling of the Lusaka Protocol
- Statements by the Government of the Republic of Angola and Leadership
of UNITA on the importance and significance of pardon and amnesty.
- Launching of the awareness campaign to sensitize Angolan and international
public opinion, to promote the spirit of tolerance, coexistence and trust
in Angolan society.
2. D + 10
- Meeting of the General
Staffs of the FAA and of the UNITA military forces, under United Nations
auspices and in the presence of the observer States, to establish the
technical modalities for the cessation of hostilities "in
- Establishment of the timetable and determination of the quartering
areas for the Rapid Reaction Police by the United Nations and the Government,
in the presence of UNITA and the representatives of the observer States.
- Formalization of participation by UNITA members in the National Police
and in the Rapid Reaction Police.
3. Before D + 15
- Promulgation of the Law of Amnesty.
- Definition of the modalities implementing the annex relating to the
special security arrangements guaranteed for the leaders of UNITA, and
of special cases considered as such, by the Government and UNITA.
4. D + 5
- Formal signature of the Lusaka Protocol by the Government of the Republic
of Angola and UNITA and commencement of its implementation.
- Public statements by the Government and UNITA on the reestablished
- Taking of office and assumption of duty of the members of the Joint
5. From D + 17
- Coming into force of the reestablished ceasefire.
- Strict compliance with the legislation in force and the relevant provisions
of the Bicesse Accords and the Lusaka Protocol (General principle no.
3 of National Reconciliation).
- All actions prescribed in the annex relating to Military Issues I of
the Lusaka Protocol. (Timetable of the modalities of the bilateral ceasefire,
- Installation of the Joint Commission in Luanda.
- Formalization by the Government of Angola
- Professional training for personnel selected for incorporation into
the National Police, including all personnel selected for the Rapid Reaction
- Certification by the United Nations that conditions have been fulfilled
for the normalization of the State administration.
- Normalization of the State administration.
- Government of Angola takes over the management of State property.
- Allocation to UNITA of adequate facilities of the use of the party
and appropriate residences for its leaders, on the basis of availability.
- Participation by UNITA members in the various levels of State administration,
in accordance with the agreement reached under the terms of article 10
of the specific principles of National Reconciliation.
- Participation by UNITA members in the central, provincial and local
government, in the diplomatic missions abroad, in the National Assembly
and in the senior ranks of the National Police, in accordance with the
provisions of paragraph 8 of the modalit
ies of National Reconciliation.
- In any of these cases, if the requisite conditions are certified as
fulfilled for the purpose, implementation of the preceding provisions
of the present item of the modalities of National Reconciliation shall
be brought forward through agreement betwe
en the Government and UNITA.
8. D + 270
- Completion of the transformation of the status of VORGAN.
9. From D + 455
- Final verification by the United Nations of compliance with the provisions
of the Lusaka Protocol relating to the completion of the process of the
formation of the Angolan Armed Forces and demobilization of excess personnel.
- Conclusion of the professional training of the demobilized personnel
of the UNITA military forces and their incorporation into the National
Police, including the Rapid Reaction Police.
- Statement by the United Nations that all requisite conditions have
been fulfilled for the holding of the second round of the presidential
10. Holding of the second round of the presidential elections, within the period determined by the National Assembly and investiture of the President elect of the Republic.
- The detailed timetable as well as the details of the tasks to be accomplished
will be established by the Joint Commission.
- No task shall be initiated until the previous one has been concluded.
- Where conditions so permit, the timescales in the present timetable
can be brought forward by agreement between the Government and UNITA.