International Peace Conference 24-26 May 2013
In May 2013, The Rotary Club of Londonderry in association with INCORE (International
Conflict Research Institute at the University of Ulster) will host an International
Peace Conference, endorsed by Rotary International, as part of its year of
Peace through Service. The aim of the Conference is to contribute to Reconciliation,
Learning and Full Self Expression for those committed to Peace throughout
the world. The programme features an impressive line up of local and
international speakers, as well as Master Classes in Peacebuilding.
President of Rotary International, former chair of the Daika Company and former president of the National Household Papers Distribution Association of Japan.
Chief Negotiator for the National Party Government in South Africa who with Cyril Ramaphosa of the African National Congress (ANC) negotiated the end of apartheid together.
Jose Ibarretxe Markuartu:
President (Lehendakari) of the Basque Country from January 2, 1999 to May 7, 2009 who was pivotal in the peace process and economic regeneration of the region.
Pioneering, fearless voice for justice and accountability in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) who founded the South Kivu's Women's Media Association.
Software Entrepreneur, USA, and a well known businessman in Northern Ireland for his work on promoting peace through jobs and economic development.
The conference will also include a Special focus on the Colombian
Peace Process, as well as the presentation of the Derry Proposal
for a Colombian Peace. Talk from Dr Andrei Gomez, Sussex University.
- Martin McGuinness, Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and Jonathan Bell, Junior Minister in Office of First Minister and deputy First Minister
- Panel of Political Parties: Ross Hussey (UUP), Mark Durkan (SDLP), Trevor Lunn (Alliance)
- Pat Colgan, Chief Executive of the Special EU Programmes Body
- Gregory Campbell, DUP Member of Parliament for East Londonderry
- Baroness Nuala O'Loan, first Police Ombudsman
- Dawn Purvis, former Independent Unionist member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
- Brandon Hamber, Director of INCORE, University of Ulster
- Eamonn McCann, an Irish journalist, author and political activist
- Alan McBride, Centre Co-ordinator of the WAVE Trauma Centre in Belfast
The conference will also feature a series of short films and presentations
about peace programmes in Northern Ireland supported by the SEUPB
- A gala dinner in honour of the Rotary President and Nobel Laureate, John Hume
To register visit: http://www.rotaryglobalpeaceforumderry-londonderry.comMaster Classes in Peacebuilding
The Master Classes in Peacebuilding will run on Sunday the 26th May 2013. These Master Classes will allow delegates to participate in a small group session (up to 20 people per group) on their chosen topic. The classes will be facilitated/led by experts based in Northern Ireland. The classes will provide an opportunity for a deeper exploration of the issues than will be possible in the larger plenary sessions.
Master Classes currently available:
Master Classes are free to attend and open to all,
but places are limited. Registration is essential and please choose
1st and 2nd preference (one master class will be offered).
Find out more
For more information and to register click